Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Misconceptions about roundabouts (AKA rotaries)

I was listening to Bob & Brian on WHQG (102.9 FM in Milwaukee) this morning about 7:45 AM or so, and they were talking about the twin roundabouts at the interchange of I-43 and Moorland Rd. (exit 57) in New Berlin. They mentioned how dangerous they were. I COMPLETELY DISAGREE. I have been using roundabouts for about four years now, and find them fairly simple to navigate.

State Rep. Mary Lazich (R-New Berlin) wrote a blog last fall on roundabouts in New Berlin and this blog that she wrote is full of inaccuracies. She mentions that I-43 and Racine Ave. is in Muskego. Unless New Berlin gave Muskego approx. 1 sq. mile of land recently, that interchange is still entirely in New Berlin. She also mentioned how difficult it is for trucks to negotiate roundabouts. I have no trouble using the roundabout in Milwaukee near S. 6th St. and W. Florida St.

View Larger Map

I'm not entirely in favor of all these roundabouts that the Wisconsin DOT is building lately, but proper education should be given. Maybe the DOT can air commercials demonstrating the proper use?

No comments:

Post a Comment